Pages

Saturday 26 December 2015

2015 - Remembering the Peaks

It's been quite a year. I think that's an understatement, one I can only appreciate at a time when I have been able to slow down and reach a stop. 

Up until December 15th, I'd been rolling full steam ahead, picking up power ups and Wumpa Fruit [Google Crash Bandicoot] on the way and hadn't really paused to think and reflect. If you've read the prior post, you'd see I haven't blogged for  few months, and in doing so transported myself into 'The Real World.'  

On December 15th I travelled to Wembley, had a couple of phone calls on the way, joined a meeting with fellow FA National Game Youth Council members, had a couple of hours in a coffee shop and my first experience of Wagamamas - don't worry I hadn't heard of it either. A day of firsts, a day of over coming challenges, a day of celebrating. There are 2 reasons that day was a stand out, firstly, I had time to think and genuinely reflect on the year and the few weeks leading up until then of non-stop travelling, meetings, graduation, conferences and life. A line from a phone call, 'Sarah, you sound tired.' [Cheers SL] Yeah, I was. No 2 ways about it. I guess, I was so wrapped up in everything going on, I didn't get a chance to catch my breathe and see what I was doing. Was that didn't get a chance? Or didn't create a chance?

Point 2, over tea, my first experience of squid and eating a Japanese soup with chop-sticks [you're right, chop-sticks and soup don't work!] Donna McIvor said to me, 'Sarah, you've had quite a year, Youth Council, graduation, your job..' 

I think I've needed someone/ people to bring me back to reality, and those 2 moments were exactly that. 

I guess the pursuit and gaining of employment took over, am I surprised? No. Have I made a mistake in not giving myself enough Sarah time? Yes. Does that worry me? No. I'm new to this full time work malarkey, going to make mistakes and do so on a hourly basis, if not sooner.

It is so easy to fall into the trap of work and being busy, all for what? 

The real challenge hasn't been in my job, Youth Council, moving away as such... but how I have approached it all. I'd be lying if I said the last 6 months have been easy. There have been days where I want to get in my car and drive home, leave Somerset life behind. Days where I sit and worry about, well, everything. Times where I just want to get through the day and keep all emotions in check, that side cant be seen yet. As commonly told, that's ok though, it all proves I'm human.. but that's not the point. 

2015 has been a culmination of everything I've learnt and an expression of the person I am and becoming.. which I am very proud of. The older I get [calm down, still 21] the more I am realising it is the small things which are important. I look back on graduating, National Camp, NGYC, the job and yeah those are great, but it is the gaps between the notes, the walking in between which make those mountain tops so special. The trips to Bath, Loughborough, Doncaster, Salisbury and beyond which have created endless memories. The phone calls and emails holding photos, jokes and I guess a safety net to fall into. But most importantly, the people. Those who take ordinary occasions and make them extraordinary. My family, the Football Futures Family and my colleagues. Those who have made moving to Somerset, working life and life in general easier and enjoyable. 

Moments stored in this jar which I cant wait to open in a few days time to relive the year and the things which have made me smile. I guess you could call them all lollipop moments. 


Smile Moments 2015


So much has gone into the peaks of 2015. I know 2016 will be great, I don't know where the Sarah Nickless Party Bus will go next.. but I know I have the right people travelling with me. 

SN

No comments:

Post a Comment