Pages

Tuesday 16 February 2016

Rwanda Revisited

2 years this week since travelling to Rwanda with The FA as a part of the Changing Lives Programme.

2 years since I was threatened to be thrown out of a hotel window, forgot the pin code to the safe, got food poisoning and, jokes aside, had the most amazing experience.

During that week Jacques who looked after us said, going to another country is like getting a degree with the amount you learn.. far more than your set our or expect to. Just like a degree, the learning doesn't always seem useful or make sense straight away. It is over time, reflection and taking a step back which allows dots to be connected.

The more I reflect, the more I see the food poisoning and Rwandan Hospital situation a blessing in disguise. Before flying out I was told to start believing in myself - something I'm still not great at - but that day of not being at the festival but being told of how the leaders I was working with did, took on challenges and let the kids play made and continues to remind me that even when we think we aren't we most certainly are making a difference.

The fact that young leader meant experience, nobody is too old to learn or at a disadvantage because of time passed. But rather the willingness and desire to learn, to use football to make a difference.The fact that people who have lived through the genocide and lost friends and family were and are able to move on and want to make a difference to the lives of others is nothing short of phenomenal. 

Actually, those little things, the moments, those are the big things. Whether it was the awkward valentines lift moment, pillow fights, Cool Runnings in the hotel in London before we left. The realisation of how much people care, how much The FA has invested in me as a person to make a difference to others. That difference might be incredibly small in the eyes of a coach or leader in England, but in a country which has been 'through the mill' of turbulent times, making a difference to 4 people's lives is a tremendous effort and to those 4 people, it is huge. 

A time where adaptability was everything. Oh no we've no kit! Where have all these kids come from? My leaders are still explaining and we started 5 minutes ago! Typical, we come to Africa and bring a flood of rain with us! Sarah can you speak French?, 'oui' - oh no now they think I'm fluent! These things happen. But how we responded was the key. 

Mistakes happened every 2 seconds, But I guess after the greatest storms come the clearest skies. The struggles, the mistakes, the doubts, the 'what am I doings?' turned into, they've got it, changes to games, new ideas, leaders not standing in the middle of the session for it to happen, organisation and progress.

It might not be down to me, but I'd like to think I helped, seeing photos of returning leaders last year and recognising those who I mentored, seeing they had returned to learn more. We all know that it is positive experiences which bring kids back [or parents], but that is the same for all of us. What a rewarding thought.

The more I reflect, the more I know Big John is right.. it's all about people. And it always is. How we move things forwards. Those who I travelled with who are now life long friends, people who spent the week allowing me to make my mistakes and learn from them [never order a Rwandan burger!] people who care, and that is something really special.

The memories make me smile everyday. The thought that I had a positive influence in the life of another is beyond belief. Knowing I was confident and able to deliver an international programme and support the journey of others and my peers - that's beyond words.

Those small things, those moments.. it turns out they were the really big things.

No comments:

Post a Comment